When it comes to atmospheric plasma, VITO is among the best in the world. In the European project IP4Plasma, research institutions like VITO, industrial partners and end-users demonstrate applications of atmospheric plasma in wound treatment and medical diagnostics.
In Europe, many different technologies based on atmospheric plasma have already been developed and patented. All that remains is to show that this know-how can be applied successfully in the industry. That is the goal of the IP4 Plasma project. Specifically, it focuses on:
- new products for wound treatment. The products drain wound fluid, require 20% fewer raw materials and have antibacterial properties.
- new diagnostic tests for tuberculosis and HIV. The tests are fast and cost-efficient. They don't require complex machinery to read the results and are highly targeted and sensitive.
- plasma machines for cost-efficient and environmentally friendly coating of these products.
VITO has systems for atmospheric plasma that it developed in-house: PlasmaZone®, PlasmaSpot® and PlasmaLine®. In the IP4Plasma project, VITO uses these systems and develops custom-made procedures.
- Partner project of nine partners in five European countries
- Collaboration between knowledge institutes and the biomedical industry
- Financed within the European Seventh Framework Programme
- Budget: €4,812,000, of which the European Commission is contributing €3,487,000.
- Duration: January 2014 - December 2016